Downtown Elkhart Pop-Up Shop Program
This program is an initiative of DEI, the City of Elkhart, and private landlords to offer selected established business operators a no-cost short-term lease.
DEI seeks to attract local or regional establishments that feature: gifts, home goods and décor, apparel and accessories, specialty food, books, sporting goods, pets, and art/culture related retail items.
- Enhance the festive atmosphere for downtown’s many visitors.
- Further develop downtown Elkhart as a arts, entertainment, and gift-buying destination
- Provide viable incubator space for businesses who want to explore downtown business locations
- Provide a visible downtown sales outlet for quality local and independently owned businesses.
- Highlight available downtown spaces and develop long-term lease prospects for the available spaces.
Applications must be submitted online at downtownelkhart.org no later than 5 p.m. May 18, 2012.
Businesses will be selected based on the:
- Appeal of their product mix
- How well their concept works in synergy with current full-time tenants,
- Ability to add excitement to the downtown atmosphere through in-store events, promotions,
- Viability of the business concept
- Hours of Operation
DEI has secured five storefronts on Main Street. The selection committee will determine who is awarded which space.
Program participants will sign a short-term lease, which stipulates the terms of the short-term space use requirements and wherein they agree to return the space to its original or an improved condition. Participants shall comply with insurance requirements as stipulated by the building owner and or Indiana State Law.
Hours of Operation
In order to maximize the lunchtime traffic, post-work shoppers, and weekend family visitors, priority selection will be given to businesses whose hours of operation fall between 10:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday – Saturday.
Program participants will be required to be open 40 hours each week.
- Jazz Festival Special Hours: June 21-23 participants must have extended hours until 10 p.m. on and Saturday.
- SoMa Festival & ArtWalk: July 16, 17, 18 participants must have extended hours until 8:30 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
Program participants will be able to access the storefronts as early as June 1, provided a short-term lease has been signed, and the insurance requirements have been validated.
Open for Business
All program participants should be ready to open for business on Monday, June 18 and be prepared to remain in operation until through August 18.
Participants must vacate the space and remove all store items by Friday, August 17, 2012.
Participants are welcome to share space with a complimentary business in order to complete program requirements.
DEI Marketing Support
DEI will promote participants in our promotional materials, our monthly newsletter, ads, and social media. Pop-up shop participants should also do their own marketing as well.
Participants are required to create an online presence in order for potential and current customers to learn about your Pop-Up Shop. This does not necessarily need to be a full-fledged website. A simple Facebook Page will do the trick.
Pop-up Shop participants will need to make arrangements for phone service, Internet, and credit card processing at their respective locations.
- Non-restaurant establishments: The building owner will cover the cost of the excess electric, gas, and water.
- Restaurant establishments: The Pop-up Shop participant is required to cover the cost of the excess electric, gas, and water.
Changes to Space
Improvements, including paint, may be made with prior approval by the building owner. Upon move out, the space must be returned in clean condition. Tenant is responsible for general upkeep of the space for the duration of the contract including cleaning, light bulb replacement, window cleaning, etc.